The Nikolaiturm belonged to the medieval city fortification of Görlitz and flanked once the northern city gate, which was aborted in 1848. Presumably, the tower existed before the first major expansion of the city around 1250. However, the building was first mentioned in documents in 1348. Next to it, the Nikolaizwinger opens as the rest of the old double city wall.
The gate at the 45-meter-high Nikolaiturm was divided into three parts: a goal with a portcullis stood between inner and outer gate. As a connection to the Nikolaivorstadt spanned before a drawbridge over the moat.
Before the tower was given its distinctive Baroque dome after the city fire in 1717, it was crowned by a slender steep helmet. Until 1747 hung on the tower and a painted on boards crucifix, as on the spot the funeral procession in burials and the condemned in executions left the city.
Originally the upper rooms of the Nikolaiturm were accessible via an external staircase. It was not until 1752, the ground-level entrance through the down at least 2.86 meters thick wall was created.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the last tower door left the apartment upstairs. In GDR times, the association of local historians Görlitzer established a museum of homeland history in the building. From 2015, the Cultural History Museum of the city in cooperation with the Förderverein Kulturstadt Görlitz-Zgorzelec e. V. the care of the exhibition and the care of the exhibits. The collection includes historic castles, fittings and lights. #germany #saxony #görlitz #nikolaiturm #stnicholastower #medieval #cityfortification #baroque #dome #historical #tower #streetlife #cityscape #throwback #latergram #weekendtravelproject #AtoZinGermany