Homemade Christmas presents? 🎄🎁 A box full of cookies, of course! Make someone’s Christmas even more special and prepare these delicious cookies for your family and friends! Gingerbread snowflakes or simple star cookies?🤔 Make them both! The only difference is that in one you should add spices and in one lemon zest! Scroll for the recipes and bake both this weekend!
Ingredients for gingerbread cookies - 250g all purpose flour (in Italy 00) - 60g fine brown sugar
- 100g butter, cold from the fridge - 1 egg
- 2 tsp gingerbread spices - pinch of salt **Note: for simple shortbread cookies use zest of half lemon instead of spices and proceed with the same instructions as for the gingerbread cookies.
Royal icing -1 egg white, whisked until foamy
-water, room temperature
-1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Instructions for the cookies
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, spices, chopped butter, egg, and salt. With top of your fingers knead your dough until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Have ready 2 baking paper sheets where you will place cookies.
3. Roll out your dough (4-5 mm thickness) and cut cookies using cookie cutters. Repeat rolling and cutting, until all your dough is used.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven. They are ready as soon as the edges are golden. Remove from oven, place on wire racks until completely cool.
Decorate with royal icing or sprinkle with some powdered sugar.
Instructions for the Royal icing
In a medium bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Add lemon juice and powdered sugar (you want to add enough sugar so your icing is not too runny). If you add too much sugar at once, correct your mixture with water until smooth, shine and with perfect consistency.