My go-to belly-warming comfort food in winter - vegan Vietnamese pho noodle soup with veggies and herbs. Can’t stop eating them and will not stop! #vegan #glutenfree
Recipe is below if you are interested:
- 1 medium-sized onions, halved
- 3 pieces of fresh ginger slices (about 2-3 cm long)
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp funnel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 cardamon pods
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 cup of vegetable stock
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce, to taste
For Noodle Soup
- 120 g rice noodles
- 2-3 Shiitake mushroom, sliced - half lotus roots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- handful of bean sprouts
- small handful of Thai basil
- small handful of coriander
- small handful of chopped spring onion
- water chestnuts, peeled, sliced and cooked (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How it's made:
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
Place onion and ginger slices on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 5 mins. Take out the onion and ginger slices and set aside.
2. Place all the spices in a frying pan and dry roast for about 3-5 mins until fragrant. Stir constantly to prevent them from burning. Remove from the heat.
3. Add onion, ginger, roasted spices, and soy sauce in a large pot and cover with vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat. Simmer on low for 1-2 hours. Strain the stock into a saucepan and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to instructions. Once booked, set aside.
5. In a frying pan, add 2 tbsp vegetable oil, sauté the garlic until fragrant, add sliced shiitake mushroom and lotus roots, until brown and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Prepare two serving bowl with cooked noodles, beansprout, Thai basil, coriander, and spring onions. Pour the hot soup over, season with salt and pepper, top with sautéed lotus roots, shiitake mushroom and water chestnuts (optional).
San Francisco, California