Until the French Revolution, the Garde-Meuble de la Couronne (Crown Furniture Depository) was a prestigious royal administration responsible for the management of all furniture and art objects that would ornate the King's residences.
In 1663, under the reign of Louis XIV, his minister Colbert founded the Garde-Meuble de la Couronne. First set in the remains of the former Hotel du Petit-Bourbon, behind the Louvre, it relocated to the Hotel de Conti (Hotel de la Monnaie) and then the Hotel des Ambassadeurs (Elysées). Finally, in 1774, it moved into the newly completed Hotel du Garde-Meuble on the Place Louis XV (today known as the Hotel de la Marine on the Place de la Concorde).
Under Louis XVI, every first Tuesday of the month from Easter to All Saints Day, the depository was open to the public from 9:00am to 1:00pm: the Salle des Armes would present royal weapons and armours, the Galerie des Grands Meubles would feature big cupboards filled with precious fabrics and tapestries, and the Salle des Bijoux would exhibit the Crown Jewels in elegant window displays as well as coloured stones and crystal-filled vases, diplomatic gifts and gold and silver smithery.
In October 1789, the building was partly reallocated to the Naval Ministry. In 1799, it was renamed accordingly after the new Ministère de la Marine et des Colonies. The Navy headquarters remained in this spectacular location until 2016.
The Garde-Meuble de la Couronne is often considered as the precursor of the Decorative arts museum (@madparis), set in the Marsan wing of the Louvre since 1905.
The Hotel de la Marine (@lecmn) is currently undergoing major conservation and restoration works to recover its original 18th century glory. It will reopen in 2020. : @cognoscenti.fr
#france #paris #placedelaconcorde #hoteldelamarine #livingheritage #restoration #louisXV #18thcentury #decorativearts #frenchhistory #discoveries #Cognoscenti