The King Edward School was designed by the Edmonton Public School Board's George E. Turner.
A near identical twin to Highlands School and sibling to Westmount School, King Edward shares many characteristics with several of Turner's other works throughout the city. Built for a cost of $180,000, the building is designed in the Gothic Collegiate style popular with the EPSB at the time. Similar to Turner's other designs, King Edward features a large central tower and faux battlements along the parapet. Cast iron lattice work covers the four windows nearest the central tower, which also features many pieces of intricate stonework. A neat octagonal chimney is located on the south side of the building.
Originally featuring 17 classrooms, the school opened to students in March of 1914. A school of firsts, King Edward was designed to function as a community space featuring the city's first ground floor auditorium, contrary to standard practice at the time where it would usually be built on the second or third floor. The school was also the first in the city to be built with reinforced concrete and was one of the first to feature showers in it's change rooms.
Since 1992 the school has served as the "Academy at King Edward", offering specialized programming to those with learning disabilities.