DAY 6 of my #100daysofpractice
Rehearsal 11-13 Mvmt. 2 Jolivet Concerto for flute and strings.
Woodshedding this piece today. Some of the passages in this movement are nothing short of nightmarish, and this is perhaps the worst of them all! I worked very slowly and carefully with this chunk, because on top of being very difficult to read, it has so many nasty fingering combinations, weird articulation changes, and inconsistent sequences. Also it's extremely fast (half note=120!). So what I did to tackle this is a method I use often. I always start by finding where I can comfortably read through it without any mistakes. For this passage that was a quarter the tempo (quarter note=60). I then play the passage at that tempo until all tension has left my fingers: till I've convinced them it's easy at that tempo. Then I bump it up a notch. Then rinse and repeat. Because I focus on trying to make it easy and not a specific number of repetitions, that means that at any given tempo I could be looking at repeating the passage anywhere from just once to fifty times. Just however many times it takes to feel comfortable, it really depends. I find this a much more useful method then just repeating a given number of times at any tempo before bumping it up. This way forces me to think and analyze as I go, and I think the passage ends up sounding a lot more consistent as a result. Still another 20 clicks or so till this monstrosity is up to tempo though