My friend Anjali just had a baby and I realized it’s been so long since I’ve been around a newborn that I’ve forgotten some of the common sense rules that apply when visiting a new baby. Here are a few Anjali came up with. What did we forget?
1. Don’t stay too long
2. Bring food in disposable dishes, it’s a pain to keep track of everyone’s Tupperware and return it.
3. Don’t say the mom still looks pregnant - focus on the positive!
4. Stick to the time you agree to - new parents are likely struggling to figure out a rhythm, and you showing up late could throw it all off
5. Do not come sick and be sure to wash your hands as soon as you arrive
6. Be helpful - do the dishes if they are dirty, etc. (Don’t ask for permission)
7. Do not offer advice unless it’s asked for
8. Be respectful of breastfeeding time - not everyone is comfortable nursing around others.
9. If bringing your own children make sure none of them are sick.
10. Bring food- lunch, dinner, snacks anything is helpful to a new mom who may not have time to cook!