Did you know it's #AfternoonTeaWeek? Me neither Here's a recipe for canapé-size blinis with smoked salmon and dill to balance all that sugary deliciousness
Ingredients for blinis
85 g buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
150 ml oz full-fat milk
1 tsp mustard powder
small handful chopped fresh chives
2 free-range egg whites
knob of unsalted butter
250 g smoked salmon
50 g salmon caviar
Fronds of fresh dill
200 ml creme fraiche
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Mix the buckwheat flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and milk to make a smooth batter. Add the mustard powder and chives and mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
3. Fold one-third of the whisked egg whites into the batter mixture using a metal spoon. When combined add the remaining egg whites and gently mix together.
4. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium high heat, and spoon tablespoons of the batter into the pan to make small-sized pancakes, about 5 cm in diameter.
5. Fry the blinis, in batches, for 2-3 minutes until small bubbles appear on the surface and the underside looks cooked. Turn them over and cook on the other side for a further 1-2 minutes, or until golden-brown. Keep warm.
6. To serve, place blinis onto serving plates, add a small slice of smoked salmon, a tsp creme fraiche, a ½ tsp caviar and fresh dill. Finish with the lemon wedges.
#salmon #teaparty #afternoontea #canape #teaandcake #britishfood #food52 #thekitchn #f52grams #hautcuisine #thefeedfeed #buzzfeast #eeeeeats #scottishsalmon #eattheworld #baking #foodstyling #thebakefeed #foodandwine #homecook #fromscratch #foodgawker #huffposttaste #healthyfood #delicious #inverawe #scotland #fish #blini