I was going to wait until Earth Day to make this post, but I honestly can't hold back any longer. Sometimes I look out the window on my bus ride to campus at the vegetation caked in litter and cry. I am by no means perfect, and I'm not going to pretend to be. However, we as individuals need to be progressing towards making eco-friendly lifestyle resolutions -- that goes beyond just recycling. There is no planet B and if you think you as an individual can't make a difference, you are wrong. Change can't happen unless you are willing to champion for it. Listed below are a few, small changes to start with, which aren't 100% perfect solutions, but make an impact:
* switch to bamboo toothbrushes. They are $4 at krogers and are made of mosho bamboo, the kind pandas don't eat (or look at @thegivingtree at other bamboo toothbrush options). One regular, plastic toothbrushes take 400 years to decompose. For more information on the long-term effects plastic products have on the environment, check out @plasticfreemermaid
* Castile soap + essential oils can be used as an organic substitute for a myriad products, such as: shampoo, laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaners.
* Switch ! To ! Organic ! Face ! Cleansers! You know the acne products that contain exfoliating beads? Those don't break down. In fact, once they get into our water systems, they are consumed by krill that can't digest the plastic and die. *
* Buy clothes second-hand, or even better -- invest in sustainable design. I mean seriously, why would anyone want to spend full price on clothes anyways? @blackberrytrees and @ssparkles have taught me a ton about sustainable design, natural dyeing, and textiles.
* Hang dry your clothes when possible
* Say no to plastic straws, lids, disposable water bottles / containers and silverware!!! I try to carry around silverware in a lil pouch whenever I leave my place of residency.
* Converting to vegetarian / vegan lifestyle is actually more impactful on the environment than driving an electric car. Even making the consciousness choice to eat less meat is beneficial.