The post today is all the more appropriate considering what happened to Notre-Dame de Paris and what her future holds. The image still needs tweaking.
“St. Paul’s Lutheran Church: 1903 & 2017”
The congregation of St. Paul's has been at the Barr and Madison Street intersection since 1839. Organized two years earlier, it was called the First Evangelical Church in Fort Wayne until it was renamed after a split amongst the German and English speaking members (1846). Continuous growth saw that a more "stately house of God" was desired by 1887. Architects Wing & Mahurin drew up the plans for a building akin to a cathedral that would be styled in the High Victorian Gothic. The red brick and limestone church with a 214-foot tall steeple was completed in 1888 at a cost of $68,000 (not including $12,000 for the organ and furnishings) and dedicated on September 15, 1889. A devastating fire caused by an overheated furnace destroyed it on December 3, 1903 leaving only a few walls and the foundation. It was rebuilt and completed in 1905. Today, St. Paul's is the second oldest Lutheran congregation in Indiana. (B/W photograph courtesy of the Allen County Public Library)