The next "kale chip". Never had this kind of tempura before. It's not really what you think, but it kind of is. It's marijuana leaf tempura, but with only CBD - a cannabinoid naturally occuring in cannabis plants. Think hemp, and not recreational marijuana with THC strains. So, no, you don't get high from it. Sorry to disappoint (some of you). I would hate to say it's a "signature dish" at @ShibumiTDLA by owner and @ChefDavidSchlosser, because it discredits all the other special dishes and cooking techniques that happen here. It's one of #LosAngeles' highly regarded kappo-style restaurants and bars staying true to Japanese tradition and tastes. Kappo means “slice (meat or fish) and cook it” and the style of restaurant is usually around a counter where the chef cooks and serves the dishes. It often takes form of a kaiseki-like experience, a multi-course tasting menu featuring seasonal ingredients and various cooking techniques. While Shibumi offers counter seating and restaurant seating, I recommend the counter for a more authentic experience.
On the table:
1) Fermented scallop, daikon & lobster innards
2) Iwagaki Oyster (Washington) - fresh yuzu, shiso flower bud & "tonburi" mountain caviar💫
3) Chicken clams - sesame vinegar miso
4) Shirako (cod sperm) tempura👌 and "Hiyayakko"- steamed silken egg tofu w/fresh wasabi 👍
5) Pumpkin - lily bulb & brown enoki mushrooms
6) Housemade silken egg tofu w/fresh wasabi, nori & sea urchin (uni)👏
7) CBD "marijuana" leaf tempura (from @THCDesign) - it doesn't get you high. It only has CBD cannabinoids (naturally occurring compounds w/healing properties found in Cannabis sativa plants).
8) Chimaki - beef shin, chestnuts, sweet potato, wrapped in bamboo husk
9) Grilled red koji duck - marinated breast w/simmered daikon & mixed greens
10) Pork jowl iron pot - Japanese bacon on 🍚😍
11) Yogurt kogi (r)ice cream w/yuzu & amazake
12) "Chizu Keki" - Japanese cheesecake & pear
#tastingmenu #omakase #ideasinfood #JapaneseFood #kappo #Shibumi #ShibumiDTLA #ShibumiLA #LAX #LAXeats #LosAngeles #LAFood #LARestaurants #DTLARestaurants #DTLA #traditionalJapanese #FMFinLA #FMFShibumi #hemp #tempura #CBD #marijuanaleaf #hempleaf #foodtrend