HAVE ACHY HANDS, FINGERS, OR WRISTS? .
These aches and pains can be stopped and prevented! Proper wrist function, mobility, and strength can alleviate most common ailments throughout your hands and fingers and wrists. .
This months #trainertuesday will be covering another 4 different wrist mobility movements to help with range of motion, strength, and stability in the muscles around your wrists, as well as stability and mobility of your wrists themselves. (For more info on the importance of proper wrist mobility read down below)
Wrist Mobility Series - Part 6
Fist And Hand Circles:
1. Begin standing or seated upright with your elbows tucked into your body and your forearms straight out in front of you making a 90 degree angle at your elbows. .
2. With your palms faced down clinch your hands into fists and flex your fists down and back toward your forearms. .
3. Now, internally rotate your arms to turn your fists faced up (still flexed). .
4. Once your fists are faced straight up, unclinch your fists and open your hand bending it into extension trying to point your fingers to the ground.
5. Finally externally rotate your arms until your fingers are faced straight up. .
6. Clinch your fists into flexion again and repeat for 10 full repetitions. .
Wrist Mobility Importance:
The wrists are a complex joint full of bone, ligaments, connective tissue, muscles and nerves. It also has multiple ranges of movement such as, flexion and extension, adduction and abduction. It also is the area of transition between the forearm and the hand, so the health of the wrist can directly impact your grip strength. Grip strength is a common debilitating problem we deal with as we age, but we can combat it with proper exercises.
Throughout our everyday life, we tend to have our wrists in compromised positions, such as driving, or sitting at a computer keyboard, that can bind them up and cause problems. With that in mind, we need to address the elements of wrist mobility and strength, through proper exercises and stretching in order to continue to lead our active lives, pain free.