As a little girl my pockets were always full of #rocks . The fascination remains but now instead of seeing them as toys and trinkets, I see them as a history book and a lesson.
“Nature is ever at work building and pulling down, creating and destroying, keeping everything whirling and flowing, allowing no rest but in rhythmical motion, chasing everything in endless song out of one beautiful form into another.” - John Muir.
Here are ten of my favorite rocks:
1. A rock I found sticking up out of the beach just north of #CapeAlava on my hike of the #OzetteTriangle Loop in #Washington ’s #OlympicNationalPark . It’s a most amazing example of a conglomerate clastic sedimentary rock also called a #PuddingRock . I think it’s fitting it’s a triangle!
2. A heart shaped rock marked a fresh water source in a saline oceanic environment. My heart skipped a beat with excitement.
3. The most amazing example of a Pudding Rock I’ve ever seen. If I had a pocket big enough and wasn’t already educated in #LeaveNoTrace Principals, it’d be mine!
4. A close up of a #petrified log in the #PetrifiedNationalForest . It is a #fossil that forms when plant material is buried by sediment that protects it from decay. Groundwater rich in dissolved solids flows through the sediment replacing plant material with silica, opal, calcite, etc.
5. Two parallel razorback ridges (also called rock fins) made of #tuscarora #quartzite rise from the mountain overlooking Nelson Gap in #WestVirginia. You can climb a #ViaFerrata and cross a 200’ suspension bridge spanning the fins at #NelsonRocks Climbing Area.
6. Jagged rocks and cliffs are chiseled by turbulent seas in #OswaldWestStatePark near Arch Cape, #Oregon . So many wildflowers!!
7. & 10. Bathtubs carved in stone by crystal blue water along the #Ouray Perimeter Trail in Colorado.
8. Naturally occurring iron #pyrite cubes also called #FoolsGold found near Silverton, #Colorado.
9. Rock cairns, like this one in Big Bend National Park,are becoming so prevalent that parks are considering them vandalism.#karmatrekker #kellygoat #kellyeatworld #reiemployee #optoutside #forceofnature #cairn #arollingstonegathersnomoss