Teaching an Anusara Yoga class @inbodyacademy Tuesday 9am. Tomorrow we will be working on all 5 universal principles of alignment linked with the elemental qualities of studentship. Be a student of life!
Adhikara, is a Sanskrit word that translates to mean studentship. Adhikara can be applied to any aspect and any skill in your life…Yoga, piano, parenting…The more you apply adhikara in your asana practice, the more you will see it spreading into every aspect of your life.
Adhikara is made up of 5 elements. These qualities can be cultivated towards studentship:
1. Sky: unbounded, beginners mind, soft, humble, “just try it” attitude.
2. Earth: solid, unwavering, grounded.
3. Water: fluid, receptive, accommodating.
4. Fire: burning, transformative energy, aspiring for greatness, reaching for excellence.
5. Air: dexterity of mind, flexible thinking, breath, not getting stuck.
These 5 elements are linked to the 5 Anusara alignment principles
1. Sky= Open to Grace
2. Earth= Muscle Energy
3. Water= Inner/Expanding Spiral
4. Fire= Outer/Contracting Spiral
5. Air= Organic Energy
Put the 5 elements/qualities into your practice:
How to embody the five elements:
1.Be open like the sky. Be humble. Instead of being stubborn, cultivate a “just try it” attitude. The sun is always shining somewhere in the sky so connect to your inner brightness!
2.Be steady like the earth. Find strength, dig deep. Engage your muscles. Total power. Have unwavering disciple on your path.
3.Be like the water. Be fluid. Be humble. Be accommodating with what the body needs when you are on your mat. Modifications?
4.Be like the fire. Have passion. Reach for excellence. What drives you? What inspires you? What fuels your action?
5.Be like the air. Not getting stuck. Feel the air in your breath. Be flexible in your mind. Apply the yoga teaching to your life!