I missed National Mac and Cheese day?! It’s okay, I’ll just celebrate when it comes back around next month. Is it just me or are these national food days out of control?...
I did happen to make Broccoli Chicken Mac and Cheese (completely unrelated to food holiday) this week from Liz Fourez. It’s a recipe that I forget I love until I’m eating it hot off the stove.
1. Make your own cheese sauce
2. Add diced chicken (protein) and broccoli (color)
Recipe from @lizlovegrowswild
8 ounces medium shell pasta
3 cups broccoli, chopped into florets
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded*
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli during last 2-3 minutes of cook time. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add flour and cooking, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbling and thickened. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
3. Add the drained pasta, broccoli, and chicken and stir to combine. If sauce becomes too thick, add milk as needed to thin. *Note: I only used 1 cup of cheese and it turned out great! In my humble opinion. But if you prefer the cheesiest version, go with 2 cups! You go glen coco!