One day I will... complete a project in one day.
Yesterday was that day. Well, sort of. I completed the major part of the project. The partitions. There are other parts I want to add to this, such as inserts, in case the mechanic needs to remove all the stuff to get at the battery or whatever underneath.
I had spent a lunch hour on measuring out what depth I would need for the ratchet set, and some of the other bulky items. This time I went straight to tracing out the OEM trunk bottom on one of the 4’x8’ cardboard sheets I get when I pick up my plywood.
Once I had traced it out, I needed something to lift it to the correct height. I decided to use some of the #palletwood I have accumulated. (Even though I didn’t really know what I was going to do with it. I guess now I do.) I cut it to the largest width I could on the pieces I had. (I’ll spare you the exact specs.) Then I kind of cut them to a length I thought might be good, well the two sides and the front. I did measure the pieces that needed to connect to another piece.
I noticed that the cardboard piece I had traced out didn’t really lift up too well. The OEM piece is only hardboard to a certain width and then it is just carpet. The OEM piece… wait a minute. Why don’t I just use that? Look at that. It fits and is still stable. (Not sure I would want to put my bodyweight on it, but that can be fixed, I mean upgraded later.) Now that I had figured out the frame dimensions and no longer needed the cover dimensions, I was able to start cutting the frame pieces out of better material. Left over 1/2” pre-finished birch or maple plywood. (Whichever was cheaper at the time.) Cutting the pieces to width was easy enough. While I had measured out the length of the pieces I decided to creep up on the final length on a number of them, as I was sure some were not completely right in the mock-up. But pretty close.
I opted for glue and brad-nails to join the pieces. Mainly because it was quick and the wood is less likely to split. If I want to make stronger joints later, I can still add to them. Surprisingly, I only blew past the piece to be joined with one nail.