Today is #nationalnonprofitday so I wanted to shoutout one of the charities I support, the @davidsuzukifdn! Our planet is our greatest resource (along with our children - but they have to live somewhere!), and this organization does so much to help us not only understand the challenges we face, but also how to take action (after all - we all need to feel empowered, not discouraged!). So I thought I'd take this chance to pass on some of my favourite simple actions you can take to combat climate change according to @davidsuzukifdn! Green your commute
In Canada, transportation accounts for 24 per cent of climate-polluting emissions, a close second to the oil and gas industry. Whenever and wherever you can:
- Take public transit
- Ride a bike or walk - Car-share or car pool Use energy wisely — save money, too!
On a per capita basis, Canada is one of the top energy consumers in the world! By getting more energy efficient, you’ll pollute less and save money. The small changes you make add up:
- Change to energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Wash clothes in cold or warm (not hot) water.
- Dryers are energy hogs, so hang dry when you can and use dryer balls when you can’t.
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Look for the Energy Star label when buying new appliances.
- Winterize your home to prevent heat from escaping.
- Get a home or workplace energy audit to identify where you can make the most energy-saving gains. Consume less, waste less, enjoy life more! Focusing on life’s simple pleasures — spending time in nature, being with loved ones and/or making a difference to others — provides more purpose, belonging and happiness than buying and consuming. Sharing, making, fixing, upcycling, repurposing and composting are all good places to start. Eat for a climate-stable planet.
- Eat meat-free meals most days or go vegan entirely
- Buy organic and local whenever possible - Don’t waste food
- Grow your own food - Avoid plastic wrapped produce
We as a species are not only capable but required to make changes to keep our beautiful planet beautiful for the generation to come. I’m committed- are you? #thenaturalblonde