Everyone loves macaroni cheese, and baking it into bite-size portions makes it loads easier to pick up and eat AND loads less messy. #doublewin
The basic recipe simply involves making macaroni cheese, dividing the mix into individual muffin cases / muffin trays and baking. I have added a few extra ingredients to mix it up a bit - extra vegetables for nutrition, some tuna for variety and protein, a crispy herby topping for flavour and texture and also an egg to help them set and hold their shape. So feel free to mix up the ingredients and flavours too!
- macaroni pasta, cooked
- plain flour
- unsalted butter
- cheese, grated
- fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- olive oil
- carrot, grated
- courgette (zucchini), grated
- spring onion, sliced
- tin of tuna
To make the sauce...
- melt some butter in a pan
- add the flour and garlic powder to the butter a bit at a time stirring until it has formed a rough paste
- continue to stir the butter/flour mix on the heat for a couple of minutes
- start to gradually add milk, bit by bit, stirring or hand whisking continuously until you have a smooth white sauce
- stir through the grated cheese until it has melted
- add any additional ingredients (eg. grated carrot, courgette, spring onions etc)
- (At this stage I split the mix in half and added the tuna to only one bowl so that I had two different flavours)
- leave the sauce to cook slightly
To make the crispy topping...
- mix the breadcrumbs, some finely grated cheese, some olive oil and chopped herbs together
- mix together the cooked pasta and slightly cooled sauce
- stir through the beaten egg (if the sauce is still hot it may scramble the egg)
- divide the mix into muffin cases/trays (silicone muffin trays are great for this)
- top each with some of the breadcrumb mix
- bake in the oven at 180’C until golden and bubbling
- leave to cool slightly before serving
Eat fresh, refrigerate or freeze.
#Macncheese #macaronicheese #bitesize #15monthsold #blw #babyledweaning #babyledeating #blwideas #blwrecipes #blwmeals #blwinspiration #babyfood #