Packed lunches - sometimes you run out of ideas! This was a trial run and it turned out to be a winner. 🌯 Chapati Rolls 🌯 (Indian whole-wheat bread, lined with an omelette, stuffed with tomato masala peppers, feta, spinach and spicy sauce) Recipe below: ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Chapati (Indian bread) .
500 grams of whole-wheat flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of grape-seed oil
400ml of water ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Add the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together.
2. Add the vegetable oil and a little bit of the water
3. Use your hands to gather the flour and water together gently, ensuring you are not pressing too hard.
4. Once you have gathered the flour to semi-stick together, keep adding the water in portions, but not all at once. Gently knead it through, preventing any lumps.
5. Once it is a smooth elastic consistency, add a damp cloth over the mixture, and leave for 5 mins. This will release the gluten, and make your chapatis more airy.
6. Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface, take a plum sized amount of the mixture and use your palms to roll it up in a ball.
7. Place it on the flat surface and start rolling it in a flat circle with a flour covered rolling pin.
8. Over a low-flame, place a flat iron pan and cook your chapati (50 seconds each side, until light brown) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Peppers in Tomato Masala
1/4 of red, green and yellow pepper (each) sliced 0.5” wide
1/2 onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tomato (chopped)
1 tsp dhania powder (coriander powder)
1 tsp tumeric powder
1tsp geera powder (cumin powder) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Add some oil to a large pan, let it heat up for a few mins.
2. Add the onion and garlic, sauté for a few mins until golden brown
3. Add the tomatoes and masalas (geera, dhania, tumeric). Mix together until the tomatoes have died up.
4. (OPTIONAL) add some curry leaves for an extra bit of fragrance and flavour
5. Add the peppers, salt and pepper. You may add a little bit of red chilli powder