Happy #Caturday chubby-plant lovers! As usual, Holly the cat and I are back with a reminder to make sure you watch how your fur-babies interact with your plant babies !
Many species of common succulents are irritating, toxic, or even deadly to your pets! Today we're talking briefly about Aloe Vera, a common houseplant, and depending on the temperament of your pet, a temptation too great to risk inside without care! Aloes contain Anthraquinone Glycosides which, when eaten by your cats or dogs quickly metabolize by intestinal bacteria, result in vomiting and diarrhea in small doses. The other signs seen with aloe vera ingestion vary depending on the amount ingested, but include depression, anorexia, changes in urine color, tremors, or in very rare and extremely neglected cases, death. Know your pets! In small doses this species usually works itself out in a couple days, but in rare cases, when a lot was eaten, diarrhea is severe, your pet's mood seems severely altered days later, or other factors are in play, you may need to administer IV fluids or other medications. Contact your vet if you feel it's needed, but in most cases this is not a deadly plant and can be a sad but needed learning lesson for naughty animals who rarely go back to bother it after a couple days of slight misery !
As always, don't forget to share all your favorite plant pictures with us for a chance to win a FREE succulent every month! Post using #ChubbyPlantPeople, tag us, or message us here! For every photo we select to feature on our page you will receive one automatic entry into our monthly raffle (the 30th of each month with no limit on the number of entries monthly) for a chance to win a small rooted succulent or cutting as a thank you!