I've been experimenting with natural dyeing week. I'm very very new, not only to dyeing, but natural dyeing. I honestly have very little idea what I'm doing - but reading will only teach you so much. So, I took the plunge this week and started working on my skeins that I had pre-mordanted (with alum) a few weeks ago. I'll be sharing these over the next few days with some thoughts (and questions, because some of you guys out there are absolutely amazing dyers!).
First up is three skeins of Clun Forest 2 ply I finished spinning in June. One thing I started doing right off the bat is keeping very detailed notes - and I'm really glad I did. These were dyed with Logwood at 15% WOF. I didn't do anything fancy to this one - I just wanted to see how a straight dye would go before I started experimenting with things like pH and modifiers.
I let the chips soak over night, strained, then heated the mixture to about 75C and threw the yarn in. I let it simmer for 50 mins, then let it cool down a bit more in the pot. When I went to rinse, I was actually quite surprised at how little dye rinsed out, it seemed like the yarn soaked up most of it. I then used the exhaust plus some osage on another two skeins (I'll talk about that tomorrow).
All in all, first dye was pretty successful - I got that purple you expect from Logwood. I'm actually not a massive fan of purple, but I'll be using this yarn for socks, so it doesn't matter too much. I can see the potential with logwood though - I really want to experiment with the dye ratio quite a bit - I can see some beautiful soft lavenders in my future.