Whey hold on a minute!?!✋ Protein is an essential nutrient for our bodies, and is required for building tissue, cells and muscle; as well as making hormones and anti-bodies. However, eating too much protein might lead to other health issues such as increased risk of osteoporosis and exacerbating kidney problems. But there are other factors that will also influence health outcomes, such as the quality of the protein and whether the diet is well balanced 👍
There's a general consensus that protein needs to be eaten regularly throughout the day to keep hunger and cravings at bay because protein increases satiety. So if you are trying to lose weight, and you are reducing your calorie intake, it's important to choose the right source of protein that will stop you from feeling hungry.
So here's a list of the top 5 highest quality protein food sources to include in your diet:
1. Eggs - omelette, boiled, poached... You decide.
2. Milk/Yoghurt - Dairy foods are packed with protein and bone building calcium. I get the recovery boosting effects from my chocolate milk after exercise. It has energy replenishing carbohydrates and a blend of both slow and fast release whey and casein proteins.
3. Fish and seafood - low in fat, and Salmon provides healthy omega-3 fatty acids which can reduce joint stiffness and inflammation.
4. White meat poultry-lean cuts. Chicken is a good source of leucine, branch chain amino acids (BCCAs), key in supporting muscle recovery.
5. Soya- tofu and soya based drinks will help post-recovery.
But there's an increasing trend I've noticed, protein is now being added to everyday food!
But there's no evidence that we all need to rush out and eat more protein, most of us get enough of it just by eating a healthy balanced diet.
But if you're active, are in training, or are working out on a regular basis then supplementing your diet with protein powder during the workout window has many benefits. Apart from being a quick and convenient method of getting more protein, consuming quality protein powders in a shakes post workout helps with muscle repair, growth, and recovery 💪
I just love my daily smoothies 💪👏👍