Life lesson from my son today! 🏊🏻♂️ Hunter has had two back to back fantastic swim meets! As a parent, watching him improve and grow his confidence in the process is truly amazing! As I was sitting here thinking about how far he’s come here are some life lessons we can learn:
1. It takes time to learn a skill; Hunter has been swimming completely since he was 5 years old, he has been practicing, learning & improving... all things worth having take time.
2. He shows up to practice; we’ve been in lessons or at practice 2-5 times a week, 10 months out of the year for 4 years!
3. Power through, even when the results aren’t showing up on YOUR timeline; a friend had to remind me on this one, I started doubting Hunter, but we powered through even when we weren’t seeing the results. We didn’t give up!
4. Surround yourself with mentors that support you; we learn best when surrounded by mentors who believe in you!
5. Fix what isn’t working! At the end of this summer we were so frustrated (seriously!) that Hunter couldn’t seem to get Butterfly down... when we finally figured out he wasn’t breathing THE ENTIRE TIME 😲 His coaches help him figure it out, and boom 💥 he fixed the issue.. giving him the chance to improve the stroke!
6. YES this is a race & you want to WIN!... Sounds silly right, but Hunter doesn’t naturally have a strong competitive spirit. Learning that this is a RACE. when you do well and place in your race you help your TEAM win the meet! He needed to see how his win helped the team win!
7. Celebrate YOUR wins! Hunter keeps beating HIS best, week after week! He might not be the fastest, but he’s growing as a swimmer by focusing on beating his best! Looking from side to side at the other lanes only slow YOU down... WOW how many of us need reminded of that!
8. Celebrate the success of others! I love that Hunter has such a heart for others and celebrates their wins too!
So, learn from Hunter today! Learn your skills, show up to practice consistently, power through the tough times, surround yourself with powerful mentors, fix what isn’t working, celebrate your wins & others wins 💙🏊🏻♂️💥 #hunterwilliam #lifelessons #mymklife #swim