For the next few weeks, we are going to be highlighting the Village, its buildings, collections, and more from A to Z! What better place to start than the very beginning of not only the alphabet, but of Old Sturbridge Village: A is for Albert B. Wells, the founder of Old Sturbridge Village. In 1926, A.B. Wells began collecting “primitive” antiques that showed how normal people lived a century before. He became enraptured with collecting these tools, everyday furnishings, and gadgets and his collection grew rapidly. A decade later, in 1936, A.B. Wells’ son, George, convinced his father to move beyond his hobby of collecting and his dream of a gallery of “primitives,” but, rather, have “a live village, one with different shops operating.” Ten years later, on June 8, 1946, Old Sturbridge Village opened to the public. Pictured here is A.B. Wells reading a newspaper in approximately 1920 as well as portions of Wells’ massive collection of antiques.