Well, after about 2 weeks studying these exercises, I'm finally ready to move forward to first finger, fifth position. Developing these exercises has seen installing my new Whittner, center-mounted chin rest and later my new Dov-Music, harp-style tailpiece! I am loving both! I used my condenser mic for this, and it got a much better, acoustical sound.
It also saw me get on an OCD spell with my bow hair. I was getting a lot of benign squeaks, and my bow wasn't responding as immediately as it should have been. I had noticed some bow hairs would slacken faster than others, and others would slacked way-more-slowly. About 15 clipped hairs later, I had a clear tone. No one tells you to clip bad hairs that haven't broken yet…
Anyway… My approach in not learning the entire first position first is paying huge dividends. I am excited about the progress of my bowing, progress in my tuning accuracy, progress in changing strings with the first finger on the string being changed from without chirps, progress in thumb posture, and progress in sliding without gripping or leaving the thumb behind.
Onwards to the breach!!!!