My littles mean the world to me (in case you have not noticed) and I want the best for them, like all parents do. 9 months ago I was super convicted about the toothpaste I was putting in my little toddler’s mouth. He doesn’t spit well <like EVERY toddler> and so he was sucking on the toothpaste like a lollipop, calling that brushing his teeth and moving on with his busy day. Great try little guy but….no.
Did you know that most children’s toothpaste is not for ages under 6! Yet my (3yr old) toddler’s dentist gave us this blue goo and encouraged him to brush twice a day. No offense to the blue goo but the warning label clearly states CALL POISON CONTROL if accidentally swallowed. Umm. Have you ever interacted with a toddler --- of course they are swallowing. STRIKE ONE. .
Now onto the ingredients. The very first one in the children’s blue goo is sugar. YUP. My toddler’s dentist is asking him to brush his teeth twice a day with SUGAR (sorbitol) as the largest active ingredient. Just a thought, but isn’t that one of the things we are trying to get off our teeth? STRIKE TWO. .
I could get into a variety of ingredients in most common toothpastes that are just no good for human consumption but I am going to only focus on one: blue dye 1. This dye has direct links to hyperactivity and asthma. Why is it even added to the toothpaste to begin with? Aesthetics. So, you are choosing to expose my child so that the toothpaste looks pretty. STRIKE THREE. This blue goo is a no go for my littles. What do we use?
We choose Young Living’s KidScents Slique Toothpaste. No crazy, harmful, “pretty colors made of dye” ingredients. Instead, it has all simple ingredients that is GREAT for your oral health. DING DING we have a winner. And you know what? My littles BOTH love it.