Cauliflower steaks with grain salad and spiced dressing
Slice your cauliflower lengthwise and fry it until golden for a new way to enjoy this versatile vegetable.
A thick slab of golden roasted cauliflower is the hero on the plate here, served with a nutty grain salad.
• 150 gm black barley (see note)
• 100 gm cracked freekeh
• 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2⁄3 cup (firmly packed) mint
• 2⁄3 cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
• 50 gm pepitas
• 50 gm pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
• 30 gm dried goji berries
• 1⁄2 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
• 1 cauliflower, cut through the stalk into 4 x 2cm-thick slices
• 130 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
• 1 tsp coriander seeds
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
• 1⁄2 preserved lemon, rind only, rinsed and diced
• 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
• 1. Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender, adding freekeh in the last 20 minutes of cooking (40-45 minutes). Drain and transfer to a bowl to cool, then add chickpeas, herbs, pepitas, pistachio nuts, goji berries and onion.
• 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. Place cauliflower slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper, drizzle with oil, season, then turn and repeat. Roast until golden brown (12-15 minutes), turn and roast until tender (8-10 minutes).
• 3. Dry-roast coriander and cumin seeds in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until fragrant (30 seconds), then crush and combine in a bowl with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, preserved lemon and garlic, and season to taste. Add to barley mixture, season, toss to combine and serve with cauliflower steaks.
#vegan #veganrecipes #veganlifestyle #bestofvegan #alkalinelifestyle #alkalinediet #eatgreen #healthyliving #healthyeating #livelife #livelifehappy #livelifetothefullest