Fitness is not a priviledge for elite few its a right everyone has and must own. Completed my first medal 10 k ever. Few thoughts
1. Run your own marathon. Unlike sprinting its a internal journey to keep going. Dont compete.
2. Hydrate mid race. First loop I skipped it. The nexr few kilometers were absolute torture.
3. Stay away from cotton clothes. It will chafe the F out of you.
4. Push more in the last kilometer. No matter how good your pace was all though out the last fast lap will make a huge difference.
5. Its not about winning it is about not quitting. Run injury free thats more important.
6. Eat well the previous night. Eat carbs before a run.
I am not an expert. Damn, I am less than a beginner but I can share my experience.