"NEVERFEAR." I've never been one to let fear stop me. Being afraid of what could POSSIBLY happen, has never deterred me from pursuing my goals and dreams. I was told that Bogota was too dangerous.
"You'll be kidnapped Chris!"... "You're going to get robbed!"... "They're going to hold you hostage!".... "You won't make it back!" Yes, it's true that these things happen, but it's highly unlikely if you carry yourself apporiatley and respect the city.
I returned perfectly fine, feeling better than ever.
I followed a few specific rules
1. I was aware of my surroundings at all times. I hardly touched my phone in public. It's a distraction and makes you a target.
2.I didn't wear any flashy jewelry or clothing.
3.I avoided the gang and cartel neighborhoods..... kinda.
4. I kept my camera in my backpack until I wanted to use it, and then I put it back into my bag.
5. I never carried more than $100 at a time.
6. I kept my mouth shut. Colombia has a strong afro culture, so I blended in with the crowd. I know some Spanish, but not enough to be convincing.
7. I never intentionally stayed out past sunset..... (This was a rule that I unintentionally broke every night but the first.
8. I asked for advice from natives and my air bnb host. The natives know what's acceptable, and what areas are off limits.
9. Do your homework before.
All in all the city was beautiful and though I put myself in some.... precarious situations, I returned perfectly fine and unharmed. Between Gods grace, common sense, and a bit of streets smarts I survived. The city, culture, and experience was unforgettable and I'd do it all again in a heart beat without hesitation. Don't be afraid because of what you've seen on the news, or in Narcos. There's danger in every corner of this world. Don't miss out on a beautiful experience because you're crippled by fear and hearsay.
#phantom3 #aerialview#skyhigh #remote #weekend #dronefly#dronegear #quadcopters #djiphantom3#dronefoto #djiphantom #dronebois#djiglobal #flying #phantomindonesia#dronearegood #dronesdaily#dronephotos #fpv #miniquad#dronedronegram #dronevideos #2017#fromwhereidrone #djimavic #bogota #colombia