A lot of my clients tell me they are always tired, wake up during the night or have trouble getting over to sleep. Adults need at least 8 hours sleep each night to:
• Improve memory and focus⠀⠀⠀
• Keep mood and appetite stable⠀⠀
• regulate inflammation
• Recover from stress (emotional/ phsyical) .
Some of my top tips to catch more 💤:
1. Keep the room temperature low and not stuffy, 19C degrees is ideal.
2. Invest in a diffuser and lavender essential oils to help unwind. You can also buy fresh lavender plants and keep them in the room. They have been identified to help reduce stress!
3. Change bed sheets regularly, especially more regularly in these summer months. Also, wear light clothes and invest in bamboo sheets as they help with temperature regulation (eco-friendly too = bonus)! 4. Avoid exposure to blue light at least an hour before bed (TV, phone screens, computers) as this light stimulates our brains thinking it is daytime. Choose to read or mediate close to bedtime.
5. Avoid eating or drinking close to bedtime. At night our bodies want to work on our immune system, not our digestive system.
6. Try some herbal teas to help relax; chamomile is perfect for sleep. But avoid too much fluid before bed to avoid wakening.
7. Routine! Go to bed around the same time each night and get up around the same time as well.
8. Relax by enjoying an Epsom bath with lavender oil, reading, a podcast, meditate, listen to white noise relaxing music.
9. If you can not get over to sleep, get out of bed and do some of the ideas notes in the previous point.
10. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine from coffee, tea, energy drinks or sugary snacks. Decaf drinks included! Decaf still has some caffeine in it so if you are really suffering with insomnia, please avoid.
11. Enjoy serotonin-rich foods to encourage sleep; Turkey, chicken, milk, eggs and almonds. .
On the other hand, some people get too much sleep (>9-10hrs) and this can be sign of low iron or B12, depression or an infection. Contact your GP in this case. .
#sleep #insomnia #nutrition #nutritionist #wellbeing #health #healthy #bed #bedsheets #sleeping #rest #immunesystem #wellness