Velha Goa, which is Portuguese for ‘Old’ Goa, was founded in the 15th century as a Port on the Mandovi River. The city was captured by the Portuguese & under their rule from 1510 and is now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
During the 16th century, the Portuguese colony of Goa, especially Velha Goa was the center of Christianisation in the ‘East’. Hence a large number of heritage listed churches/ cathedrals; notably Basilica of Bom Jesus, (which includes the mortal remains of St Francis Xavier), Church of St Francis of Assisi, Church of St Cajetao and Church of St John of God to name a few (photos above). #goa #velhagoa #oldgoa #oldgoachurch