Pszczyna Castle, Poland🇵🇱
. .”Pszczyna changed its owner few times in the history. The todays castle used to be a gothic fortification, back in the middle ages, but was reconstructed into renaissance residence in the 16th century. This was just the first of the major changes. The biggest changes were made during the times of Dukes of Anhalt-Köthen-Pless in 18th and 19th centuries, who expanded the #estate and founded #park around it.
The present shape of the #castle and its surrounding was executed by the successor of the Dukes, Prince Hans Heinrich XI, Duke of Hochberg. One must know the #Silesia, land where Pszczyna lies, was under #Prussian rule after the partition of Poland in 1795. Soon, this beautiful place became very popular as a hunting palace for German nobles, Dukes and even Emperors.
Between 1870 and 1876 the #residence was rebuilt by the French architect Aleksander Hipolit Destailleur into the two-story palace-castle on a quadrangle plan in the style of 17th century French #architecture.
As the official site of the Castle says:
Between 1914 and 1917 the Pszczyna castle played an important role #housing an Emperor’s Headquarters and the General Stuff of the German Army. It was here, in Pszczyna, where the #Emperor, the Chief of General Staff, Marshal Paul von Hindenburg, and the Chief of Eastern Staff, General Erich von Ludendorff, were making military decisions changing the #history of Europe.
In 1922 Pszczyna was incorporated into the #Polish state and remains within its borders until today. Thankfully it survived the II World War almost intact.
The castle in Pszczyna is one of the very few museums of this type in this part of Europe with so many elements of preserved historical #furnishings. In 1995 the museum was rewarded with an honourable diploma for the concept of #interior #renovation by organization Europa Nostra with its seat in Hague, the pan-European federation for cultural heritage: “For diligent reconstruction of the castle interiors with their #furnishings based on thorough #historical researches which brought back the #splendour of the beginning of the twentieth century”. Courtesy PolishArms / Pszczyna Castle