Successful Leaders are those that invest and take a genuine interest in their teams and those around them. *
Here are 6 tips to improve your leadership skills and relationships with your people: *
1. Be a super human, not superhuman. Being kind, considerate, and polite to people will help build respect and improve your relationships. *
2. Get to know people. Truly invest time in knowing people personally and professionally. *
3. Identify individuals’ strengths. Take the time to identify and recognize individuals’ strengths including those that may go beyond their job. Look for opportunities to help people use their strengths and talents in a way that brings out the best in them and their contributions. This will reduce turnover and create a sense of satisfaction in the work that people are doing. *
4. Ask for and give feedback. People like to know how they are doing. Giving them feedback allows people to make immediate adjustments and meet your expectations. *
5. Listen to what people say. If you ask questions, it’s important to truly listen to the responses or you will undermine your credibility as a leader. Ask questions that are deliberately framed to help you gain insight on a particular topic. Notice what people say in response, and equally as important, what they are not saying. After identifying what’s going unsaid, formulate and ask additional questions to help you understand what matters most to them. *
6. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Connections are established by communicating with people. Receiving and providing feedback, establishing expectations, celebrating successes, identifying concerns or fears, making process improvements and fostering a culture of candor and openness is all done through communication.