Double tap if you have a love/hate relationship with Thanksgiving 🦃! Same!⠀
Thanksgiving/ the day before thanksgiving is often a double edged sword for those of us with addiction and substance use disorders. ⠀
First, the Wednesday before thanksgiving is the biggest drinking night of the year! Seriously, this is a fact! Then throw in the anticipation of being around family and those drinking all day and it can be a recipe for disaster. 🙇♀️ After surviving quite a few sober thanksgivings and supporting hundreds of women through them, I’ve comprised a list of 5 tips for you all.⠀
Sober Holiday Survival Guide ⠀
Part (1/2➡️ #ED friends I’ve got you covered tomorrow! 😉) ⠀
1. 📝Create a plan! If you aren’t hosting, see if you can drive by yourself or with someone who knows your situation. That way, if you get triggered or things get tricky, you can make a getaway! ⠀
2. 📚If you find support at 12 step meetings, see if you can go to a meeting at some point during the day. Or some people find “bookending” helpful. Go to one before and after the meal to enhance your plan! Many 12 step fellowships have meetings every hour on holidays.⠀ .
3. 🙋♀️Tell someone! Even if you don’t want to tell your whole family you aren’t drinking, see if you can tell one person who is coming with you so they can support you, whether that’s leaving with you or pulling you away from a dunk uncle asking questions! ⠀
4. 🥤Bring something fun to drink! People ask less questions if you are super excited about the new flavor of La Croix you brought with you! Or if you feel inspired you could make a fun mocktail for yourself so you feel less like you are missing out. ⠀
5. 🙋♀️Safety first! For some of us, if our family drinks an unhealthy amount, or there is significant family strain, thanksgiving with may be straight up unsafe in early sobriety. Don’t be afraid to set boundaries, say no, and create/ attend your own thanksgiving with your own people! There’s no shame in protecting yourself and your sobriety, even if it some people don’t understand it.⠀
Hope you all have a safe, fun and sober thanksgiving! Seriously, DM me 🙋♀️or comment below if you need ANY support.