How many of you have taken a vacation without your kids?🙋🏻♀️ If so, how old were your kids? For the first time ever, my husband and I took a quick weekend trip to attend a wedding (thank goodness my in-laws were so awesome to watch the kids🙌). And while it was nerve-wrecking and exciting, we did actually have a great time! We love our kids fiercely AND we also need time alone. It was refreshing and relaxing. We could slow down and not have to keep on a schedule ☺️ We even got to sleep in!! 😎 If you haven’t yet taken a vacation without your kids, do it...even if it’s for two nights an hour or two away, but stay for at least 2 full days and 2 full nights...the first 24 hours is just enough to start unwinding, so use the rest of the time to really enjoy yourself! .
A Few Tips:
1. Plan ahead
2. Stock the house with plenty of your kids favorite foods, snacks and meals you know they will eat.
3. Leave/set specific instructions for schedule
4. Have activities (games, arts and crafts, outdoor things) available and easy to find.
5. Be clear that you want the kids to stay on their schedule (nap and bedtime)
6. FaceTime your kids when you know they will be awake (or if they request to call you 1-2x a day)
7. Model happy and excited behavior for this new adventure. (If you’re terrified to leave and are hysterically crying, they’ll likely exhibit the same behavior). 8. Verbally review the schedule with your kids or write it on a calendar, so they know how many days you will be gone. Younger kids may need to hear that they will go to sleep, wake up, have a fun day, go to sleep, wake up, have a fun day and then you’ll be home at dinner time.
9. Leave medications in a safe place with clear directions for caregivers. Also, note when you want to be called ...like when one of the kids is bleeding. Leave emergency instructions.
9. Bring a small item from your trip. My dad used to bring me the hotel shampoo and conditioner. May seem silly, but it communicated to me that he was thinking of me. It can be more personal for each child, but no need for lavish gifts (just a little jar of shells you collected from the 🏖would work). Now go enjoy adult time!