Vegan Gyros by @lazycatkitchen
Jackfruit Pork (for best flavour, make a day ahead)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/8 tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dry oregano, plus more for fries
½ tsp chilli power, adjust to taste
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tins of young (green) jackfruit in water
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
¼ tsp white pepper (black is okay too)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 small cucumber, sliced
a handful of sweet cherry tomatoes, quartered
vegan tzatziki (recipe here)
6 large Greek pitas (gluten-free if required)
6 Romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
1 small red onion, super finely sliced
2 medium potatoes (optional)
JACKFRUIT PORK (for best flavour, make a day ahead)
1) Drain both jackfruit tins. Cut the firm, pointy ends off each triangular piece of jackfruit (you can still use them if you wish, I don’t). Set aside.
2) Heat up olive oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed, pan. Fry diced red onion until softened, translucent and lightly caramelised. Add chopped garlic and fry off gently until soft and fragrant.
3) Add most of the spices: cloves, cinnamon, cumin, and oregano to the onion-garlic mixture. Fry them off gently, stirring the whole time, for a minute or so.
4) Mix in the tomato paste.
5) Now add in the prepared jackfruit along with soy sauce, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Mix everything really well. Squash the jackfruit pieces with your mixing spoon so that the individual fibres separate more. Season with white pepper and a pinch of ground chilli if you wish. Simmer the mixture gently for another 10-15 minutes and then allow it to cool down. Place in the fridge overnight to intensify the flavour.
6) Just before you are ready to assemble your gyros, set the oven to 200° C / 390° F (fan function). Spread the jackfruit pieces on a baking paper-lined baking tray and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a little caramelised and browned around the edges.
Recipe continued below in comments!
For a chance to be featured tag your videos @veganfoodfilms & #veganfoodfilms