• RODENTICIDE TOXICITY • March 18-24 is #PoisonPreventionWeek, so to kick off this week, let’s discuss #rodenticide toxicity in dogs and cats (a.k.a. rat bait poisoning). *(Read our entire article at http://themeowingvet.com/2016/10/10/ratsssss-rat-bait-toxicity-dogs-cats/ )*
Accidental ingestion of these poisons by your pets can be deadly, and emergency veterinary attention is required ASAP should this occur. The most common classes of rat poison are:
. Vitamin K Antagonists (Anticoagulants): Prevents Vitamin K from being used to form blood clotting factors, causing death from internal bleeding within several days if not properly treated with Vitamin K supplements.
. Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) Products: Excessive Vitamin D binds with calcium to form mineral deposits in the GI tract, kidneys, & heart. This leads to vomiting and diarrhea, heart arrhythmia, and kidney failure within 12-36 hours. Kidney failure may be permanent despite treatment.
. Bromethalin: Affects the central nervous system by causing brain swelling within 1-5 days. Lower doses cause paralysis or coma in dogs and cats. Higher doses cause convulsions in dogs. Response to treatment is guarded.
. Zinc Phosphide: Forms a toxic gas that smells like fish or garlic. (This gas can be harmful to pet owners as well if breathed in, so don’t try to induce vomiting in your pet. Seek vet care immediately!) Rapidly affects the GI tract, respiratory system (causing difficulty breathing), & central nervous system. Death can occur within 4-48 hours despite treatment. Chronic cardiac, renal, & liver disease may persist.
. Strychnine: Causes horrible respiratory failure (gasping for air), a stiff “saw-horse stance” and what appears to be a grin due to neurologic effects, & seizures. Prognosis can be good with early treatment, but many pets can die within 24 hours.