Part 2 of the Robot Guitar #RandyRhoads Les Paul Custom Conversion:
Ok, so now that the body is stripped, and the back has been leveled off, I need to add some thickness. I used measurements from a real 70’s custom to get somewhat close. Real 70’s Gibsons had a pancake body that was 2 thick pieces of mahogany around a thin Maple veneer, with the thicker Maple top on top of all that. As much as I’d love to replicate this, it would be a bit too much of an undertaking for this project, so I opted to just use a 1/4” maple top instead, which gets me within .050” of the overall thickness. The Robot Guitar had a chambered body, so this helps make it feel a bit more the part, and have a bit better balance.
I used a couple of dowels to locate the body and glue it down. After that, I needed to flatten it. It had a bit of a “belly”, and I wanted a good flat surface to use for routing the binding channels.
Another key feature of the 70’s era Gibsons is the presence of a volute. I grafted on a piece of mahogany using some epoxy and then built up layers of epoxy on top to shape the volute from. Once the headstock has paint on it, I feel like it will look pretty convincing!
That’s all for now, check back for more soon!
#RandyRhoadsProject #LesPaulConversion #Gibson #VintageGuitars #Luthiery #guitartech #expertfretwork #woodwork #LesPaulCustom #volute