GREEN MANGO SALAD
Try this Thai favorite salad from Mook of @mymeatlessmeals
“I tried harvesting fresh mangoes straight from the trees for the first time. Because I had never done it before, I couldn’t tell which ones were ready. I ended up with a bunch of green mangoes. I decided to make Thai Style Spicy Mango Salad, inspired by one of the most well known Street Foods from Thailand: green mango salad.
This is how I make my version of Thai Style Spicy Mango Salad. Hope you enjoy.
• 1 tbs water
• 2 tbs soy sauce
• 1 tbs coconut sugar (paste)
• 2 lime juice
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 10 g shallots, thinly sliced
• 10 g lemongrass, chopped
• 2 cups fresh green mangoes, shredded • 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt*
• a handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
• 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
• 1/4 cup toasted desiccated coconut
1. Peel and shred the mangoes, using a papaya shredder or a julienne peeler, into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Make the dressing by combining water, soy sauce, sugar, lime juice, and chili powder and mix until well combined.
3. Have a taste by dipping a shred of mango into the dressing and decide whether it needs more salt/ chili powder, lime juice, or sugar. This pretty much depends on the intensity of flavours from your mangoes AND soy sauce. I added 1/4 tsp of himalayan salt and it came out perfect for me. (Himalayan salt has a milder taste compared to table salt, so if using table salt you could add just a pinch to start).
4. Add shredded mangoes, followed by roasted pumpkin seeds and skillet-toasted desiccated coconut.
5. Toss everything together along with fresh coriander/ cilantro.
6. Serve immediately as an appetizer or a side dish.