National Geographic Society@insidenatgeo

A look at the innovative people and bold ideas behind @natgeo’s yellow border. #insidenatgeo

http://natgeo.org/

"I did a lot of surfing as I was growing up, and I started to see the really negative effects that plastic can have within marine environments," says marine litter scientist and Explorer @imogennapper, who embarked this weekend on an all-women expedition to investigate how plastic pollution impacts the shore and its communities. As the Head Scientist of the @exxpedition_ voyage, Imogen will travel from Vancouver to Seattle to study the effects of plastic accumulation in the North Pacific Gyre (otherwise known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch). #insidenatgeo #exxpedition


1

National Geographic Explorer of the Year @joelsartore worked for years in the field but was unsatisfied with only moving the needle on conservation (in his estimate) a few times. So he founded the Photo Ark more than a decade ago to exemplify why all species are worth protecting. #insidenatgeo #savetogether


1

On this day in 1969, Neil Armstrong took an iconic small step—and the rest is history. Apollo 11 photos by Otis Imboden, who served as @natgeo's full-time Cape Canaveral correspondent. (Can you spot LBJ?) #insidenatgeo #otd


3

Environmental engineer and Explorer Jenna Jambeck has dedicated the past twenty years to researching solid waste issues with a particular focus on plastic and marine litter. "Plastic exists on our planet forever," she said at #natgeofest. "But collectively, we hold the solution to this in the palm of our hand." #planetorplastic #plasticfreejuly


3

Photographer @brianskerry has spent over 10,000 hours underwater, capturing images of marine life with the intention to inspire ocean conservation efforts. #insidenatgeo


5

Today marks the anniversary of a discovery that altered prevailing views about human evolution: In 1959, pioneering paleoanthropologist Mary Leakey found a 1.75-million-year-old shattered hominid skull in current-day Tanzania. #insidenatgeo


2

"I think of storytelling as an ancient tradition that I am grateful to be a part of. Photo Camp is an opportunity to exchange and share techniques and tools as well as discover new ways of communicating," says photographer Erika Larsen (@erikalarsen888), who will be teaching the youth of Alaska's Quinhagak community to amplify their voices through photography at Photo Camp this week. "I am eager to work with the Quinhagak community because the Yupik come from an old line of storytellers. I believe the world has a lot to learn from their voices and ways of communicating." Follow @ngphotocamp to see more throughout the week. Portrait of Erika by @chamiltonjames. #insidenatgeo


1

The waters of Portugal's Azores archipelago are home to some of the most crucial ecosystems in the North Atlantic, including megafauna hotspots that host whales, dolphins, and deep-sea sharks. Eager to explore the area's never-surveyed seamounts, the @natgeopristineseas conducted a 650 mile expedition in partnership with @oceanoazulfoundation and @waittfoundation. The recently wrapped journey consisted of 600 dives, during which the team discovered a new field of hydrothermal vents and mapped 21,469 square kilometers of previously undocumented sea floor. Photo by @pelayosalinas #insidenatgeo


4

On this day in 1960, a 26-year-old Jane Goodall landed in what is now Tanzania's Gombe Stream National Park to begin her groundbreaking study of chimpanzee behavior. Goodall's field research transformed the world's understanding of what it means to be human—a milestone we're celebrating on @janegoodallinst's #WorldChimpanzeeDay. Photo: Hugo van Lawick.
#insidenatgeo


0

As a 2018 Grosvenor Teacher Fellow, Trevor Hence traveled to Norway's Fjords and Arctic Svalbard for a hands-on, field-based expedition intended to enhance his commitment to geographic learning. "I've had the opportunity to model concepts like challenge, exploration, and contribution beyond campus and into the most remote remaining pristine places on earth," says the Texas-based elementary school teacher, "It shows students that we practice what we preach." Tap the link in our bio to learn more about the Grosvenor Teacher Fellow Program, including how to apply. Made possible through a partnership between National Geographic and @lindbladexp. #insidenatgeo #lindbladexpeditions


3

“Mars is not an option. There is no exit strategy for our planet," urged famed ocean explorer Bob Ballard at last month's #natgeofest. #insidenatgeo


3

Of all the mammals on earth, only 4% are wild animals—the remaining 96% are humans and livestock. At #natgeofest, Chief Scientist @jonathanembaillie emphasized the need to decrease the human footprint and give wildlife more space, a message worth remembering this #worldpopulationday. #insidenatgeo


1